Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

I was very happy with my eight mile run today.  It was a little cold and a little wet but I did run the fastest mile that I have ever run.  I ran one of the eight miles in less than eight minutes and I was pretty proud of myself for that.

But...

I have a secret.  I am not proud of this secret but I'm afraid it is something that can't be helped.  I know that there are some people out there who will want to turn their back on me but I hope that you will all forgive me.  Ok here it is.  I don't really like running.  It's true.  I usually find it to be, at best, tiresome and uncomfortable and at worst, something just short of torture. 

When I started running in January of 2007 I did it in hopes that I would shed an inch of two of the man-boobs that I had developed.  I would talk to people that ran and they would look whistfully into the air and say how much they liked getting out at the crack of dawn and running for miles with just the sound of the early morning birds and the steady whap whap whap of their sneakers on the solitary pavement.  They told me that after I ran for a while that I would catch the fever.  I would fall in love with running.  My life would become all about getting out on the road.

Yeah, That didn't happen.

When I ran the marathon last year I was somewhere around mile 22 or 23 and I distinctly remeber saying to myself I am NEVER putting myself through this again.  Worse than that, I have been on runs this winter of eight miles or less and thought This Sucks!  I'm cold, I'm tired, I'm Bored and my feet hurt. 

Now, the wierd part is that I look forward to running and I am always happy with myself and satisfied when I am finished but the physical act of running..well...it just sucks.

So that's my dirty little secret.  What's yours??

No comments:

Post a Comment