Monday, March 8, 2010

Let me take a break to whine...

I realize that I am a pretty lucky guy.  I have 3 great kids who are relatively healthy and happy.  I have a beautiful and amazing wife who puts up with my crap on a daily basis (no small feat) and is a fantastic cook to boot.  I am really thankful for all of that. 

But...

My family and I have been wading hip deep in crap for the last 14 months.  You see, I have been unemployed for that stretch of time.  I was an economy related casualty at my last job.  I have been on several interviews in the last 14 months where I honestly thought that I was going to get the job only to find out that the job had been put on hold (happened twice) or that the company decided to fill the position internally. (also happened twice) The  most recent example was with a compnay in Foxboro (Nice and close) that when they called to give me the news they told me that I was the one that they wanted to hire but because of the economy they decided to combine two jobs into one and give that job to someone that already worked there.

So everytime I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it turned out to be a train.  To go along with this, we also have had a car die as well as a pet.  We have had plumbing problems and a rodent infestation.  We were collecting food stamps for a while which was great but then they decided that I was getting too much money from unemployment (yeah, they were really showering me with money) so they pulled the plug on that.  I was working part time at Gillette Stadium to pick up a couple extra bucks but there is no work in the off season so that income stopped. 

Now, because I have been collecting my massive unemployment checks for a year I was told that I had to re-file for unemployment benefits.  So they have stopped paying me until they can contact the company that I worked for last year and verify that I am unemployed.  You read that right.  They have to make sure that a guy that has been collecting unemployment for a year, because he was laid off, is still unemployed from the company that laid him off.  So that leaves me with absolutely no income for an undetermined period of time. 


Honest to God...I don't know how much more I can take.  This has put a strain on everyone in the family from my wife (who wants nothing more than to be home for the kids) to every last one of the kids (who are so disappointed that we can't go on vacation or even get take out once in a while.

It's just not fair.

Sorry for the whine but thanks for listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment