Friday, April 13, 2012

You Have GOT to be kidding me!!!

So here I am just a few short days from the marathon all worried about my calf muscle.,  I'm worried that I won't be able to run very well on it and I am seriously worried that my goal of breaking the 5 hour mark will go by the wayside.  But...I'm trying to stay positive.  I think to myself...well,  I'm just going to go out there and give it my best.

If that weren't bad enough lat night I woke up somewhere around 2:00 AM feeling like I caught my son Anthony's stomach bug.  I spen the next 2 1/2 hours holding back the inevitable.  Then some time around 4:30AM my body said "OK you need to find the bathroom now!!!"  and then I proceded to...well...I'll spare you the details but lets just say dinner made an encore appearance.  So I eventually got back into bed and tried to go back to sleep but at this point it felt like every last joint in my body was filled with shards of broken glass and my head felt like it was filled with angry, stinging wasps.  So needless to say I didn't sleep for the rest of the night.

Now as you know I just started a new job so not going into work was out of the question and I limped my way in at 7:30 after discovering that, apparently, everything in my body had turn to liquid.  So I sat at work not knowing which is a worse image of me for my co-workers.  Is it just calling in sick on my second week when I am alreading taking Monday off or is it the image of me gently weeping in my office because I'm so tired I am hallucinating and every inch of my body feels likeI have been abused by a pack of rabid gorillas that have been taught to fight with baseball bats.  Needless to say I meekly limped out of there at about  9:30 this morning and I have been in and out of sweet sweet unconciousness ever since.

So there you go...I have 2 days to get better.  My wife came home from work this afternoon and brought me Powerade so I won't dehydrate and saltines so I would have something in my stomach.  She's so good to me. :)

What does this mean for the marathon?  Well I am kind of banking on feeling better by then and I have told myself that I will either finish the race or they will cart me off on a stretcher.  I was sent a couple of quotes from another member of the NF marathon team that I really like and I will leave you with them

Anyone can run a marathon in 3:00:00 hours, but it takes a real man /woman to stay out there for 6:00:00 hours.


Champions aren't made in gyms

" Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have that last minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill".

Muhammad Ali

The Greatest

Thanks to Jeff Brown for these quotes.
 
Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment